Friday, December 17, 2010

Ginger Ale #5

Throwing together a batch with dry lemon zest and a bit more ginger than last time for the holidays.

2 1/2 oz fresh ginger
8 cardamom pods
1/4 cup yarrow
2 Tbsp juniper berries
1 tsp white pine bark
1 tsp dry lemon rind
1/2 tsp citric acid
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 2/3 cups sugar
1/4 tsp champagne yeast
1 gal water

Fermented for 72 hours, mostly at 72 degrees. It got up to 80 with the oven light and no thermostat one evening, so I cracked the oven door overnight. Down to the low 60s in the morning.

When I tasted the wort, I was worried: it didn't seem to have any ginger bite to it. I picked up the ginger at an Asian market in Daly City, and biting into some leftover root, I didn't find much spice. Perhaps it was grown fast and wet? The spiciest ginger ale I've made was basically the same recipe, but with young ginger with very thin skin from Rainbow.

Once it had fermented, though, it came out quite nice. It doesn't really have any bite, but it is gingery nonetheless. The yarrow is quite pronounced and it tastes more like the standard canned ginger ale. With some rye whiskey, it makes a really good highball.

1 comment:

  1. just stumbled across your site, really excited to find you...I have had enough of beer brewing and about to dive into the sodas....looking forward to starting from your first post!

    ReplyDelete