Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ice cream for floats

Since we were having a party, I thought root beer floats would be a good idea. Here's my refined recipe for vanilla ice cream with a light custardy flavor. Perfect for floats.

4 cups half and half
1 3/4 cups white sugar
2 Tbsp corn starch
2 more cups half and half
2 cups heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla extract

Bring 2 cups half and half to scalding (200 degrees) and while it's heating up mix in the sugar.
Add the corn starch mixed in a bit of cold half and half.
Whisk to thicken slightly, being careful not to boil.
Remove from heat, cool a bit, and add the remaining half and half, cream, and vanilla.
Chill to near freezing and churn; then move to freezer to firm up.


2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just found these blog posts and they have really inspired me. I hope you make updates some time. :)

    jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm back on top of the root beer and ginger ale making this winter...

    ReplyDelete