Sunday, November 1, 2009

"Cream soda" #2

This tweaking of my first cream soda batch is a little bit improved. It has gotten good reviews from the friends who've tried it, though I wouldn't say I'm in love with it. I upped the vanilla, though it doesn't seem as much stronger as I expected. Eileen thinks more raisin, like the first batch, would be good. I'm fine with the raisin flavor being more subtle. For some reason the increased cinnamon still isn't noticeable, perhaps it's masked by the vanilla. It took a full week to carbonate in our cool apartment.

1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
2 vanilla beans
5 inches chinese cinnamon
scant 1/4 cup raisins
4 quarts water
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp ale yeast.

EDIT: I just came across an article that mentions that unsplit vanilla bean doesn't provide enough flavor. I didn't split them to avoid the little seeds getting out. Mystery solved.

1 comment:

  1. you can spilt the beans to get all the nommy vanilla flavor, and not have to worry about needing to filter before you decant. tie the open beans in fine cheesecloth or cotton before cooking. You can even sew a little bag with a drawsting, or find home-fillable teabags.

    Another thing you might use for sweet with low sugar is stevia.

    ReplyDelete